Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Let's Talk About Self-Worth. Shall We?


As some of you may know if you have read my "About Me" section I used to have an eating disorder.  It was a terribly dark time in my life and honestly, I still struggle daily with aspects of it.
The pressure to be thin and picture perfect in today's society is more than ever.  Women seem to be more accepted by appearance than poise, experience, etc.  I have struggled again and again with this, how do I define my self-worth.  How did I start making a change to make it about more than the number on the scale? Well....You are better than a number on a scale, the size of your jeans, or the way that one shirt makes you look.  All too often I think we down play the most important parts of us to the least important parts, the parts that can change all to easily, the parts that fade with time.  Do you judge your friends by their appearance or the way that they treat you and others, the beliefs they stand for, and the way they make you feel when your with them?  So, why is it that we tend to be so harsh on ourselves when really we are awesome people on the inside? 
our ill-constructed body image is effecting more than just us, we are effecting a smaller generation of girls. It scared me honestly, I know what I struggled with and how I still struggle and I can't image this innocent little girl already identifying her self worth by a number on the scale.

So, how is it that we should combat everything telling us looks are everything?  Here is my advice:

1. You are more than a number on a scale- Come on ladies, you know this.  We have all seen the pictures of five women that all weigh the same thing, but look different.  If you haven't, here you go: Click Me

2. How you treat people matters more than what you weigh!- I can't stress this enough.  How many of us have been belittled by someone?  Did you remember their size?  Or how they treated you and made you feel.  You make more of an impact on someone by how you treat  them, I promise.

 3. Don't use negative words to describe yourself.- I am bad about this one, I know.  I think many times I call myself things like "fatty" because I think I am beating someone to the punch.  I feel like if I say it before they have a chance to think it it isn't as bad.  But the reality?  The probably aren't seeing what I see.  I am my hardest critic, and I would dare to say you are yours.

4. Your weight is not your purpose in life. You weren't put on this earth to be perfect.  NO ONE IS! - It is about progress for you...not being perfect. Fortunately, there is no such thing as perfect, so quit reaching for it...you won't obtain it.  Just be the best you you can be. 

5.  Start the morning by telling yourself something you like about yourself or something you are proud of.- Before you look in the mirror, before you have the chance to put yourself down tell yourself the good in you.

6. Exercise to make yourself feel good about YOU!- This is one thing I have to remind myself of all the time, it really does make me feel better and changes the way I view myself. 

7. Realize that everyone struggles with their body image at some point.- No matter how skinny, no matter how big...everyone has issues with their body.  

8. Every body type has advantages.- If you have really nice legs... girl, rock those daisy dukes.  If you have curves...girl, rock that dress that enhances your hourglass figure.  You get the idea, every body type has advantages.  So, your jealous of her really nice legs?  Maybe she doesn't have the curves that look great in dresses. 

9. Need a pick-up?  Ask a friend or loved one what they love most about you. - I can guarantee it won't be your size.

10. Realize that no matter how much you disdain parts of yourself, there is someone who wishes they could be just like YOU!- Are you healthy?  Is one of your main concerns wanting to 'look' better?  Thank God for that, seriously.  


Words To Think About:


Yes, I want to lose weight, but I want to do it for me. To make me feel better about myself and to make myself happier.  I don't think that losing weight is my purpose in life, but I do think it can enhance my life by making me feel better about myself.  With that being said, as I improve myself physically I also always try to strive to improve myself intrinsically as well.



3 comments:

  1. I love this...really, love it. Number 7 should be talked about more. People don't realize that EVERYONE has image issues to some extent.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This post completely resonated with me! Thanks...
    Btw I found your blog from Beth's page :)

    x Natalie

    ReplyDelete